Saturday, October 25, 2008

Some blanks to fill in...

I'm exhausted, LOL. I'm not able to get lots of sleep here yet (lesson plans are still taking a while) and the last several nights I've been having nightmares on top of that. One night I actually got 8 hours (yay me!) but woke up feeling sooo tired and raw thanks to a bete noire... darn it!

My friend Gary invited me to go to the Musical Instruments Museum in Hamamatsu today and I'm looking for any excuse to get out and see things! There is no time during the week to do anything fun (except relax at home for 1-2 hours watching movies or eating) and I always spend one day of my weekend working on lesson plans for the upcoming week so I need to get out more! I'm not exactly afraid to go out alone but my Japanese is still soooo bad!

Ai has been teaching me the proper way to say most things and (just like in America) it's not exactly the "textbook" way! She's been so kind and helpful to me, going with me any time I want her to for shopping or errands and helping translate for me! Within the first few days I felt comfortable enough to shop alone just by following her example. If I don't get something I say I'm sorry, I don't understand, which is "gomen nasai, wakarimasen." (I used to say I don't speak Japanese but learned quickly that I don't have to say that because it's so obvious, LOL!) Most of the clerks are so helpful and will mime things for me which really helps! =D

Two of the women at the grocery store even recognize me every time (I know, hard to miss, right?) and they've been teaching me a little Japanese and Ai and I tell them a little English! They're really sweet and try to speak a little English with me, which feels like a very welcome treat!

But I will receive free lessons from Ai at GEOS once a week so I'll soon start having real lessons, YAY!!

Before I forget, I promise tonight or tomorrow to get this room looking good and post some pictures!!

School went VERY fast this week! I feel like I blinked and a week FLEW by! Most of it was fun!! My students range from 4 years old to mid-50s. I now teach 17 different types/levels of classes! I feel more like a baby-sitter with some of the younger kids who have no interest in learning English, but I kind of understand too that they don't want to be there, their parents put them there. I try to make it really fun and we play tons of games but I think they know (and resent the fact) that they're educational games. They're still fun though! =D

Many of the students are advanced and we can have pretty great conversations! =D Ability ranges drastically though, sometimes even in the same class, and most students won't ask questions if they don't understand something. I beg them, PLEAD with them "If you don't understand ANYTHING, please ask! I'm happy to clear up any questions!!" One of the older students is too shy to speak at all and some of the younger students have to be constantly monitored (they like to rip my things up, like the wall map or other students' drawings!). The last teacher was very patient and would ignore everything mostly but the kids would continue to try to destroy things. I'm sure you can imagine, I let little slide that I consider inappropriate... =D At least I can do it in a Disney way, LOL. I'm totalling honing that skill once again!

It's getting late and I've got to shower so I can go to the Museum! I'll try to post more later! TAKE CARE!!

No comments: