Monday, October 20, 2008

Halloween Lessons and Sushi!

Sorry I haven't been able to post more lately! I've been working so hard that there's little time to do anything else (most days I don't have time to eat until 10pm)!

This week will be interesting! I teach 17 different TYPES of lessons (some repeatedly throughout the week) and a lot of the classes are on a set schedule across the country. This week everyone is doing the Halloween lesson (I know, I know!)! I brought candy corn and the Disney's Halloween Treat DVD and my Alice costume (which I plan on taking off for the adult courses, LOL, even though I'm assured by everyone that the adults would like it, too! But the adults don't do Halloween lessons, it's for the younger kids. We'll see.... ;)

Big news! I had my first real sushi on Saturday night!! My friend (and coworker) Ai took me to an amazing restaurant after work! You sit at a booth and there's a touch-screen computer monitor that you pick what you want off of! There's also a hot water dispenser and green tea at every table (and a big box of ginger!! YUM!!), plus three different kinds of soy sauces (one of which has tomato in it and tastes like Italian dressing, LOL) and a little conveyor belt! Through the use of magnetic trays, whatever we order comes directly to us (even though it takes a trip around the restuarant depending on where you sit, LOL, but it's always protected behind glass!)! We never see a waitress (unless we need water) and just go up and pay at the end!

Did I mention it was DELICIOUS???? (OF COURSE!!) Ai was teaching me about the different quality levels of the fish (some are extremely expensive) so I tried an expensive one and a cheap one and know what? The cheap ones are EXTREMELY YUMMY!!! (Must be my beginner level saying that, LOL!) Ai and I decided we're going to go every Saturday night! Ohhh, and the pieces are HUGE, like, the LENGTH of the fish! They put it on a smaller piece of rice though and you're still expected to eat it in one bite! (I decided if I go back alone or with other gaijin [foreigners] that I would eat it in little bites to savor it! Then I could blame my ignorance on being the dumb gaijin! With Ai there it would have been hard to do, LOL! It's amazing to me that size of the bites (like from the ROLLS) that people are able to fit in their mouth!

What else? What else? My apartment is getting closer to "acceptable" to me so I should be able to post a video next weekend maybe??

Haha, back to food! On Sunday night my friend (and coworker) Gary invited us out to dinner at a Thai restaurant. He brought his friend who brought two friends, so there were six of us (I asked Ai to join us) and it was also REALLY good!! There was a pineapple fried rice that I LOVED and a shrimp curry that was delicious! The salad in the beginning was so spicy it made everyone's eyes tear up! Im soooo glad I didn't try that! LOL! (I felt like the Queen! I'd wait until everyone tried a dish and then let them tell me if it was spicy!) We had SUCH a good time! Gary's friends were so nice! We decided we all must do it again soon!

I have to get ready for work! I hope you're all doing well and having a great day! Drop me a line some time!!
With Love Always,
Sarah

1 comment:

Sara said...

ooh, that sounds awesome! I haven't had any restaurant sushi yet, only grocery store sushi; I gotta find one of these places around here! When I come to visit you, we better be going there! :)