Monday, October 13, 2008

A little more Hamamatsu





















I had the funniest experience last night! After two shopping trips to the mall (having to come home each time because I purchased something large or heavy [like a new pillow and another futon mattress]) I decided I needed to go back a third time for groceries. Rather than make my sweet new friends suffer through my indecisiveness I decided to return alone. I went up and down every aisle in the supermarket which I am in LOVE with! I was going to try to make myself eat cup of noodles at least one meal per day but yesterday I discovered two wonderful things (haha, sorry for the side note!): 1. they make fresh bento box type meals every morning and if they're not sold by the early evening they drop the price about 25%! I'm going to ask Ai what time of day they drop the prices and if they drop again any lower before closing! =D 2. In their prepared food section you can get a bag of 5 or 6 DELICIOUSLY breaded veggie slices for $1.18!! This is plenty to fill you up but I decided to be an adventurer and try some onigiri, too! (I got some kind of pickled something in mine which was good! Next time I'm hoping for fish! Because I can't read the labels it's basically a guessing game! I'm so glad it's worked out well so far, LOL!) NOTE: THE ONE IN THE PICTURE HAS A PHOTO OF THE CONTENTS! The ones here just have a solid color in the label and some writing! No clues!!

Sorry, so back to the story! I was just contemplating the price of U.S imports (a whopping $3.30 for a NORMAL sized Toblerone bar, and $4.oo for a SMALL box of Ritz crackers) when I look up to a child running down the aisle with his own little cart. As soon as he locked eyes on me he literally SKIDDED to a halt. I smiled and there was a quick second before he SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER! HIGH-PITCHED and everything!! Who's hurting you, you silly thing?? He tears off in the other direction screaming what I think is, "Daddy!!!!" I am warned that this will happen a lot, LOL! Perhaps I was the first gaijin he's seen! =D

I was hoping to post some pictures I borrowed from various websites to give you a little idea about Hamamatsu but blogger.com is having a blonde moment apparently so I'll post them later! The map up top shows you Japan and there are five dots if you look closely. The two we are interested in are the two central most in Japan (the second and third dots when counting from the left). The right is Tokyo and the left is Hamamatsu! Hamamatsu is the second largest AREA in Japan! My new coworker told me it was made pretty recently by combining a few smaller cities. So I live in Higashi-ku which basically translates to a ward of a district of the city, Hamamatsu -shi (city) and in Shizuoka-ken (province) of Japan. There are TWO more lines of my address but I won't put them online because they basically PIN POINT my location. (The street name and then the building's name. There's also a postal code, then my name, then the country! Let's count together! I have an EIGHT LINE address!!! LOL! Sweet! (Oh gosh, I've already taught Ai "sweet" and I think she really likes it! I heard her use it once!) =D

Once I have more time to get into the actual CITY and do fun things I promise to post more pictures!! ENJOY!!

No comments: