Sunday, June 7, 2009

Cris visits Hamamatsu!

This is shamefully overdue... Notice how a lot of my blogs start that way recently?? =D
Anyhoo, Cris came to visit Hamamatsu three weeks ago and hilarity ensued! She took a long bus all the way from Iida to Nagoya, and then the train from Nagoya to Hamamatsu. We decided to show her around with a lot of touristy stops, things you can only do here, and we had a great time!



This was a surprise shot while we waited for Cris. Wendell looks a little pissed at the horse, and I thought it was hilarious.


We had a big festival in Hamamatsu but I wasn't able to go. Here is a topiary horse ad for it!


First stop: Hamamatsu Museum of Musical Instruments.
You can see billions of pictures on a previous post from me, but I thought I'd show you the cooler stuff again and the new stuff!


These puppets are simply amazing! They are similar to the Wayang (a Malay word for 'shadow') shadow puppets of Indonesia. The detail work (their hair and clothes were a very delicate, intricate filigree) just kept me mezmorized, but sadly, I wasn't able to get a great picture to capture the detail...




...until I consulted Wikipedia! Thanks for the pic Wikipedia!! =D


You may not be able to read it, but these instruments are from Australia and are simply called, 'sticks.'
Since Cris is an Aussie, I thought I should ask for more information, but stupidly this is what came out of my mouth:
"How do you play them?"
"Their sticks, Sarah. How do you think you play them??"
Hahaha, yeahhhh. Good point!

Cris practising her awesomness on the koto!


Next stop: Hamamatsu Science Museum. FUN FUN FUNNNNNN!!!


This place looked like a giant playground... and actually, it was!!


I just love the 'levels' in this picture! My two friends (and a third, unnamed volunteer from the crowd) are working together to lift a heavy barrel behind the glass on the right. Note that Wendell's 6'1 solid frame isn't doing a thing to lift the barrel!


I've never seen him so happy! This is 5 year old Wendell, definitely!
What was he doing? We took turns spinning... really fast!

Where to go next?? I KNOW! MEIN SCHLOSS!!
Yup, a German restaurant in the center of Hamamatsu! Horrible pizza, good beer, and all the steins you care to view! This place also has a massive patio to eat on, sitting under hundreds of twinkle lights! It's to be the setting for a big gathering we've planned for next weekend. If the weather sucks out (welcome to rainy season), we'll just do the eating inside! This place is huge and makes its own beer!



Cheers to a fun day!


Posing with the restaurant's statue. Cris kept saying it was my Mom. I'm not sure if that means I look like the statue or because I was born in Germany.... maybe I should ask her to clarify??

After that we hung out at Wendell's apartment for a bit before heading to Aprecio for some karaoke,
where more hilarity ensued!! =D

No comments: